José Manuel Durão Barroso was born in Lisbon on 23 March 1956. After graduating in law from the University of Lisbon, he moved to Geneva where he completed a Diploma in European Studies at the European University Institute, University of Geneva, and a Master's degree in Political Science from the Department of Political Science, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Geneva, earning honours in both.
He embarked on an academic career, working successively as a teaching assistant at the Law Faculty of the University of Lisbon, in the Department of Political Science, University of Geneva, and as a visiting professor at the Department of Government and School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University (Washington, D.C.). In 1995, he became Head of the International Relations Department of Lusíada University, Lisbon. In 1979, he was one of the founders of AUROP, the Portuguese University Association for European Studies and he later became the first editor of the Revista de Ciência Política.
In 1980 he joined the Social Democratic Party (PSD). He was first elected to the Portuguese parliament in 1985 and was re-elected six times thereafter. In 1999 he was elected President of the PSD and re-elected three times. During the same period, he served as Vice President of the European People's Party. As State Secretary for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation he played a key role as mediator of the peace accords for Angola in Bicesse (Estoril, Portugal) in 1991, and as Minister for Foreign Affairs he launched the talks with the Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs, under the auspices of the Secretary General of the United Nations, that ultimately led to the independence of East Timor. Under his leadership, the PSD won the general election in 2002 and he was appointed Prime Minister of Portugal in April of that year. He remained in office until July 2004 when he was nominated by the European Council and elected by the European Parliament to the post of President of the European Commission. In June 2009 the European Council unanimously nominated him for a second term as President of the European Commission, and he was re-elected by an absolute majority in the European Parliament in September 2009.
He has also participated in several international missions including, among others, head of the IDEA delegation to Bosnia and Herzegovina (1996) and advisor to the United Nations in projects for Tanzania and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Among others, he is the recipient of the following State Decorations:
· Grand Cross of the Military Order of Christ from Portugal (1996);
· Grand Official of the French Légion d'Honneur (2014);
· First Class Medal of the Order of Amílcar Cabral of Cape Verde (2012);
· Grand Cross of the Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Charles III (2011);
· Great Collar of the Order of East Timor (2010);
· Collar of the Order "pro Merito Melitensi" of the Order of Malta (2010);
· Grand Cross of the Order of Vytautas the Great of Lithuania (2009);
· Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland (2004);
· Grand Cross of the Order of Rio Branco of Brazil (1996);
· Grand Cross of the Order "El Sol del Perú" (1994);
· Grand Cross of the Order of the Rising Sun of Japan (1993);
· Grand Cross of the Order of Ouissam Alaouite of Morocco (1993);
· Grand Cross of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George of the United Kingdom (1993);
· Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (1990);
· Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (1990);
· Grand Cross of the Order of the Lion of Finland (1990);
· Grand Cross of the National Order of the Southern Cross of Brazil (1990).
He has also been awarded more than thirty Honorary Degrees, among others, by:
· Brasília University, Brazil (2014);
· Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel (2014);
· National University of Ireland - University College Cork, Ireland (2014);
· Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal (2011);
· University of Ghent, Belgium (2011);
· Auckland University, New Zealand (2011);
· University of Geneva, Switzerland (2010);
· University of Chemnitz, Germany (2009);
· University of Pittsburgh, USA (2009);
· Catholic University of São Paulo, Brazil (2008);
· Nice Sophia Antipolis University, France (2008);
· Sapienza University of Rome, Italy (2007);
· Warsaw School of Economics, Poland (2007);
· Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., USA (2006);
· University of Genoa, Italy (2006);
· Kobe University, Japan (2006);
· University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom (2006).
In 2012, he was distinguished with the 'Premio Europeo Carlos V' of the 'Fundación Academia Europea de Yuste' in Spain.
Among other academic distinctions, he has received:
· the Medal of Honour of the Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo in Santader, Spain (2014);
· the Plus Ratio Quam Vis Gold Medal of the Jagiellonian University of Cracow, Poland (2014);
· the Medal and Golden Insignia of the Real Instituto de Estudios Europeos of Madrid, Spain (2009);
· Honorary Member of the Portuguese Academy of History, Portugal (2008)
· Honorary Diploma of the École des Hautes Etudes Commerciales – HEC, France (2006).
Amongst other awards and distinctions, he is the recipient of:
· the 2013 Distinguished International Leadership Award from Atlantic Council in Washington D.C, USA;
· the Grand Collar of Merit of the Union's Court of Auditors, Brazil (2103);
· Honorary Member of the Portuguese Order of Engineers, Portugal (2012)
· Honorary President of the Portuguese Industrial Association in Lisbon, Portugal (2012)
· the Collar of the European Merit Foundation of Luxembourg (2010);
· the Laureate Quadriga Prize 2009 – "United for the Better," Germany;
· the Gold Medal of the Hellenic Parliament, Greece (2009).
In 2006 he was declared "European of the Year" by the newspaper European Voice and named Global Leader for Tomorrow by the World Economic Forum in 1993
He is an 'Honorary Citizen' of Lisbon, Rio de Janeiro, Athens, Nicosia, Valpaços, Lamego and Cantanhede.
He is the author of numerous publications on political science, international relations and European studies including, Le système politique portugais face à l'intégration européenne (Lisbon and Lausanne, 1983), Uma Certa Ideia de Europa (1999), Mudar de Modelo (2002) and Reformar: Dois Anos de Governo (2004).
He is married to Margarida Sousa Uva. They have three children: Luís (b. 1983), Guilherme (b.1986) and Francisco (b.1988), and a grand-son, Manuel (b.2010).
How to book Jose Manuel Barroso?
Our booking agents have successfully helped clients around the world secure talent like Jose Manuel Barroso for speaking engagements, personal appearances, product endorsements, or corporate entertainment for over 15 years. The team at All American Entertainment represents and listens to the needs of organizations and corporations seeking to hire keynote speakers, celebrities or entertainers. Fill out a booking request form for Jose Manuel Barroso, or call our office at 1.800.698.2536 to discuss your upcoming event. One of our experienced agents will be happy to help you get pricing information and check availability for Jose Manuel Barroso or any other celebrity of your choice.
How much does it cost to book Jose Manuel Barroso?
Booking fees for Jose Manuel Barroso, or any other speakers and celebrities, are determined based on a number of factors and may change without notice. Pricing often varies according to the circumstances, including the talent's schedule, market conditions, length of presentation, and the location of the event. Speaker fees listed on this website are intended to serve as a guideline only. In some cases, the actual quote may be above or below the stated range. For the most current fee to hire Jose Manuel Barroso, please fill out the booking request form or call our office at 1.800.698.2536 to speak with an experienced booking agent.
Who is the agent for Jose Manuel Barroso?
All American Entertainment has successfully secured celebrity talent like Jose Manuel Barroso for clients worldwide for more than 15 years. As a full-service talent booking agency, we have access to virtually any speaker or celebrity in the world. Our agents are happy and able to submit an offer to the speaker or celebrity of your choice, letting you benefit from our reputation and long-standing relationships in the industry. Fill out the booking request form or call our office at 1.800.698.2536, and one of our agents will assist you to book Jose Manuel Barroso for your next private or corporate function.
What is a full-service talent booking agency?
All American Speakers is a "buyers agent" and exclusively represents talent buyers, meeting planners and event professionals, who are looking to secure celebrities and speakers for personal appearances, speaking engagements, corporate entertainment, public relations campaigns, commercials, or endorsements. We do not exclusively represent Jose Manuel Barroso or claim ourselves as the exclusive booking agency, business manager, publicist, speakers bureau or management for Jose Manuel Barroso or any other speaker or celebrity on this website. For more information on how we work and what makes us unique, please read the AAE Advantage.
Jose Manuel Barroso is a keynote speaker and industry expert who speaks on a wide range of topics . The estimated speaking fee range to book Jose Manuel Barroso for your event is $100,000 - $200,000+. Jose Manuel Barroso generally travels from Bruxelles, Belgium and can be booked for (private) corporate events, personal appearances, keynote speeches, or other performances. Similar motivational celebrity speakers are Viola Davis, Amy Poehler, Amy Schumer, Rashida Jones and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Contact All American Speakers for ratings, reviews, videos and information on scheduling Jose Manuel Barroso for an upcoming event.
We are happy to assist you with your interest in booking a speaker or celebrity for your event, your organization, and the type of talent you would like to secure, and an agent will be in touch shortly.
Fill out the form below to or call us at 1-800-698-2536 if need immediate assistance.
This website is a resource for event professionals and strives to provide the most comprehensive catalog of thought leaders and industry experts to consider for speaking engagements. A listing or profile on this website does not imply an agency affiliation or endorsement by the talent.
All American Entertainment (AAE) exclusively represents the interests of talent buyers, and does not claim to be the agency or management for any speaker or artist on this site. AAE is a talent booking agency for paid events only. We do not handle requests for donation of time or media requests for interviews, and cannot provide celebrity contact information.